Saturday, April 7, 2018

The Bronx Live in Edmonton April 4th 2018


Wednesday was a fun filled evening of punk rock with The Bronx, No Parents and Counterfeit Jeans at the Starlite Room.

The first band of the night was Edmonton band Counterfeit Jeans. This three piece band hit the stage rocking playing their style of punk music. They were good at what they do, but didn't play anything that really caught my attention.

Counterfeit Jeans.

Next up was band out of Los Angeles called No Parents. I had never heard of these guys before but have to say I was impressed with them. They are three piece band that play a punk rock style of music, they reminded me of early Green Day with a mix of Scatterbrain. A real fun band singing songs with titles such as "Buy Us A Van", "Bully Girl", "Two Beers", "Die Hippie Die", "Dick City" and "I'm A Dildo", as you can see by the songs they don't take themselves too serious, yet the band was good. It was a lot of fun watching and listening to these guys.

No Parents.

And for the main act was another Los Angeles band The Bronx who play punk rock as well. This was my third time seeing them live and holy fuck these guys just keep getting better. The band is on tour in support of their album V which came out last year and was one of my favorite releases from 2017. As much as I like that album the songs sound even better live.

The band led by singer Matt Caughthran, who has got to have the best screams in rock n' roll, and in my opinion one of the best lead singers around these days, actually the whole band is probably one of the best live acts on the road right now.

After about a half dozen songs Matt came down on to the dance floor and played the rest of the show amongst the crowd, slam dancing, moshing and jumping around shaking his head like a mad man. You couldn't help but get caught up in the music. I tried staying on the outskirts of the pit, but every once in a while I found myself among the moshers and dancing and singing along with Matt. Lots of sing alongs, shout outs and picking people up off the floor. At one point Matt got bounced in to me and almost went down but I stopped him from falling, he put the mic in front of me, I sang along with im and he gave me a pat on the back and a hug. Matt is just one of the best front men since Gord Downie of The Hip.

Some of the new songs played on this night were "Two Birds", "Sore Throat", "Night Drop At The Glue Factory", "Side Effects" and "Broken Arrow". And all of them sounded absolutely amazing. And for old stuff lots of classics like "Six Days A Week", “They Will Kill Us All (Without Mercy)”, "White Guilt" one of my faves "Knifeman", "Shitty Future" and "Heart Attack American" oh man, just so many great songs. And the whole time Matt is among the crowd the band is on stage tight as fuck and holding down the fort. The band was super tight, the crowd was amazing. Matt made you feel like you were at something special in which we were. The feeling of a tight knit community brotherhood. If you like your music loud and on the punk hardcore side this is a must see band live. There is no doubt this show will be in my top three of the year. So much fun. Good times!!!

The Bronx.

Some merchandise I picked up at the show.

No Parents vinyl and t-shirt.

The Bronx hockey puck and two seven inch singles.

No comments:

Post a Comment